Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Diwali Faral!


Happy Diwali! (Although I know Diwali has come and gone!)

Living overseas, festivals like diwali come and go ever so quick. The pomp with which this festival is celebrated in India just can't be replicated anywhere else. Nevertheless, in line with tradition, it is a must to prepare faraal and enjoy Diwali with family and friends where ever one is. This year, my mum and I made 5 items (starting bottom right hand corner and going clockwise): Chakli, Besan Ladoo, Chivda, Coconut Barfi and Shankarpali ( not in the picture as they had all finished!). Recipes for faraal, I think, are passed on from mum to daughter, and little bits are changed here and there according to taste. This is probably why there aren't very many recipes for faraal out on the net....and I dont think you can find two recipes for it which are exactly the same. Here, I'll share our recipes which we use each year.

No comments: